Splitting into teams is a necessary chore in many games. But that doesn’t mean it can’t be fun.
Here are a few things that you can do to split into groups evenly.
1) Team Captains. As someone who was picked last all through grade school, I’ve never been keen on this approach. But I’ve found that for competitive games like Ultimate Frisbee using team captains to pick their teams can be a good way to split into groups that are evenly matched. Pick your “best sports” and not necessarily your biggest jocks to be captains.
2) Sweetness. Have kids reach into a bag of wrapped candy, like Jolly Ranchers, and pick one candy. Divide into groups by flavor.
3) Spades. Deal out a deck of cards. Divide into two groups (red or black), four groups (suits), three groups (face cards, odds, evens) or more.
4) Ol’ Blue Eyes. Divide into brown eyes and blue eyes. You may have to use a second criteria to even up the group.
5) Odd Birthdays. Everyone born on an even numbered day goes in one group, an odd numbered day in the other group.
6) Four Seasons. Divide into four groups based on whether your birthday comes during the Spring, Summer, Winter or Fall